What you need:
- Carpet rolls (FREE from local carpet store)
- Brown paper lunch sacks (cheap from local grocer)
- Umbrellas (ask for donations in your ward or purchase from Dollar Store)
- Green vinyl tablecloth roll (or tablecloth if you're only making one)
- Tape (duct tape or carpet tape)
What you do:
- Cut the bottoms out of the paper bags and scrunch them (one after the other) onto the trunks, stapling to hold them on good.
- Design and cut out palm-style leaves from the green vinyl.
- Tape the end of each leaf onto the top center (button thingy) of the umbrella - covering the entire umbrella with leaves.
- Staple the leaves onto the fabric of the umbrella - not necessarily flat (the tutorial above says "pooch" them) - I think we're going to tape ours so we can re-use the umbrellas. That way I can just bring some from home!
- Place the umbrellas in the tops of the trees - VOILA!
I think we'll hang our lanterns from the trees - should look awesome!! We'll put a few tiki torches around and we're also going to make a totem pole by simply painting a couple of the carpet rolls. I'll post that project when we get there.
The trees in the photo were held up using microphone stands. We're going to put them up around our camp over metal fence posts that we will put into the ground to hold them in place. I can't wait!!